2013年3月14日木曜日

Lean and mean Eclipse

I download Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers JUNO (4.2).

It sucks. Its very slow and sluggish. It is unusable for me. Eventually I leaned that increasing the memory for JVM helps, but its still slow.

I noticed that Java EE package has a ton of plugins, some of which I care less.


If you compare packages, the Classic package seems to be a good baseline to start. So I decided to start all over with Eclipse Classic as the baseline, and gradually add feature to it.


The Classic package loads quickly and stays very responsive. The way it should be!

Now, I like to do these things with my Eclipse instance:

  • Edit XML files
  • Create web projects
  • Work on JSP and Servlet stuff
  • Work on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
You can do these things if you install Web Tools Platform

At first, I thought there is a single package called Web Tools that contains all of these, but it seems that's not the case. So I manually picked half a dozen plugins that are part of the Web Tools Platform.

Here is how to add then.

First, choose "Install New Software..." menu.


Pick "juno" as a software site.


Expand "Web, XML, Java EE and OSGi Enterprise Development" node.
Then pick those items shown below.



Done. You see Web Tools Platform added..



Eventually, I will want to add Subversion, Maven, and JBoss related plugins, but I want to do that one at a time.

Happy coding in Eclipse now!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿